My mom gave me the DVD this past Christmas. I watched it again from start to finish and this scene kind of intrigued me. I've had this perception most of my life that the pop culture world views this film as romantic. Sure, Scarlett is definitely selfish and who knows what Rhett's true motivations are for pursuing Scarlett but I guess many people find this scene mostly romantic:
I can't tell anymore. I see pros and cons about both characters in this scene. One the one hand, many girls need that wake-up call to stop chasing after someone who will never love them. But then again, who wants to be told they were meant to be kissed or that they need to be kissed badly? It might be my inner feminist, but that seems a bit degrading.
I love this story, but I don't view it as romantic. At least not anymore. If anything, it shows there are many issues around emotions, relationships, and people that are just as relevant back then as they are now. Scarlett's games and conniving plans essentially get her nowhere. She learns the only thing that lasts isn't determination, it's not love, and it's certainly not money. It's land. How depressing is that? I guess its more about the journey than the final destination.
Another thing: Did you know the character Belle is a high class prostitute? Here I was thinking she was a woman of bold style who liked to pay cards in parlors with men.

No comments:
Post a Comment